Winter Camping!

In New Zealand it seems that people camp year round.  It doesn’t matter if it is warm or cold!  I’m not sure how much camping is done in the winter in the US.

I decided to give camping a try- but  not in a tent!  I rented a mini van that was transformed into a camper.  It had cooking equipment I could take out to use if I wanted.  And it had cushions that I used to make the bed each day.  It was a really fun vehicle!  I rented a heater-  but that was worthless!!  It did not heat the inside of the van.  And it got cold at night!  Luckily the blanket was warm.  But one morning I woke up and it was 24 degrees!!! BRRR!

This sparrow attacked me while I was eating lunch. Came into the camper!

I had a lot of fun adventures during my camping trip.  I got close to some seals which was crazy!!  I saw a whole group of baby seals.

Baby seals enjoying the sun.

These huge boulders are called the Moeraki Boulders.  They are just huge boulders laying on the beach!  They were formed from sea sediments 60 million years ago! The largest boulders weigh 7 tons and took about 4 million years to grow so big!

I visited a place called Pancake Rocks.  That was some AMAZING geology!  The rocks have been layered over time.  Even scientists are not sure what the process is.

I got to see little blue penguins come home after their day at sea.  But pictures were not allowed.

I also did some hiking.

I visited the Orana Wildlife Park.  I fed some lemurs and road in a truck with lions all around it!

This is a Kea bird. They are VERY smart and get bored easily. This one attacked me! He tried to chew my hair, coat and to steal my glasses.

Enjoy the pictures and video!

A weta bird

Rabbits are pests in NZ. Rabbits were brought to NZ for food and hunting. But the numbers became unmanageable!

12 thoughts on “Winter Camping!

1. Wow you do many thing! Bet you learn so much and enjoy being in there. i wonder where you could rather to live America or New Zealand?

• I have been lucky to travel around the country a lot! I have enjoyed living here. Your question is hard!!! I like both American and New Zealand. I’m thinking when I retire, I could move to New Zealand. They need teachers for deaf students here.

2. Also I wish I could do winter camping during winter time but it suck because I have to go to school 🙁 LUCKY YOU!

3. I would do the same thing if I go camping, I will rent mini van. I don’t like sleep on tent for some reason. Many interesting thing there, I bet you enjoy yourself 🙂

• There are so many interesting things here! I want you guys to be able to see and experience them yourselves!! Maybe….

• I have enjoyed visiting the wild parks here. The people really care for the animals. The zoos work to help animal populations in the wild too.

4. Lucky you! You got opportunity to experience the winter camping while it is too hot go to outside for me… 🙁 I was shocked that you got attacked by some birds. It was funny a little. Be careful next time!

• I heard Illinois has been very hot!! Winter is Wellington is mild- about 50 degrees so not too bad. But if the wind is blowing it is cold! The bird attack was funny. I just didn’t want him to poop on me!! haha

5. Lucky you, my room is currently very hot right now and I want to go winter camping! If I do, I better bring two extra blanket just in case 😉

• Maybe even bring 3 blankets and some hot water bottles!! Do you know what a hot water bottle is? They are very popular here in NZ because many homes do not have heat. It is a plastic bottle that you put hot water in and then you can put it under the blankets on your bed to warm it up! My flat doesn’t have heat- it is very cold!